Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Mindset of a Colin

Year to year it seems like I find different items in which I feel help me preform my best on the court. Now, I am not a superstitious person by nature (and I am by no means referring to steroids...and if you look at my frame, one could hardly make the argument that I am the poster child for such a drug), and at the end of the day, I realize it is both God's blessing and my hard work that allow me to compete on the court at such a high level.

That being said, I believe in the power of the mind, and any edge I can give myself mentally going into a game helps. In other words, if I believe that "Exhibit A" gives me confidence and aides me in preforming my best...than it does. It is not some supernatural power that "Exhibit A" has, which allows me to, but rather my belief in myself, that does. While I realize, that this may sound borderline nutso...to each his own, and I have verified this against my stats.

My Junior year at UAF is really when I began to hit my stride in terms of peak performance on the court, and I really haven't looked back since (not being a cocky a-hole...so quit judging). But it was also my Junior year I felt that every time I ate a Spicey Firecracker Sandwhich from Burger King the night before a game, I played very well the next day. Furthermore, a teammate of mine convinced me to drink a whole container of OJ the night before each game...so it may have been that (thanks Titus).
My Senior year in Alaska it was listening to a song by the band Elbow called, "Grounds for Divorce".
This year, my rookie season as professional here in Germany, it seems as though everytime I hear the song "Paranoid" by Black Sabbath, I have a 20+ game. Odd isn't it?

I will reiterrate, that these quirks provide me with no actual supernatural gift, and it is the work of God, and myself which aid me.

However, I believe there is something to be said for finding your pregame ritual, and sticking to it. Whether, its napping, eating a certain food, playing a certain song...or chasing your flatmate around the apartment with a sock full of AA Batteries (that was one time Hun...one time).
This concept of finding a ritual is a positive thing, as it gets you in a habit of success. It is important for a person to get in the right mind frame for the game/sales call/business meeting etc. And that is what this is.

Needless to say, from here on out...it appears I will know more Ozzy lyrics that I will care to admit.
Be that as it may, I'm going to finish strong this season, and enjoy a great career.

No comments:

Post a Comment